Senior Coating Designer
A highly experienced thin film coating designer that pushes the envelope of high-end thin film designs to allow for competitive coating solutions. Additionally, this individual has a proven track record of coating designs for filters or ultrafast laser applications.
- Design optical coatings to meet customer and internal specifications
- Develop new optical coatings for all global manufacturing sites
- Stay up to date with coating technology capabilities and limitations
- Propose investment in new coating technologies, by defining specification needed to enable new coating designs
- Guide coating designers around the globe to raise the know-how in the organization
- Collaborate with R&D and manufacturing to ensure successful implementation of coating designs
- Train new coating designers on advanced coating topics
- Develop IP around coating design and technology to strengthen EO’s market position
- Serve as the subject matter expert on projects when needed
- Interface directly with select customers on relevant projects
- Provide management with technical tradeoffs and risks pertaining to project work as well as general engineering efforts such that management may make informed decisions
- Assist technical marketing via authoring of papers, or other external media.
- Support internal technical training and mentoring efforts
- Attend and conduct external training and seminars to further the technical exposure of the company
- Actively engaged with extra-company communications, such as peer reviewed paper publications and technical marketing.
- Establish and maintain a professional working relationship at multiple levels both internally and with the customer by understanding the customer’s business context and their unique situation.
- Collaborate with both internal and external/industry experts to anticipate customer needs in order to facilitate the definition and development of the solution.
- Strong supporter of the professional development framework for their profession and use the knowledge and best practice derived from their professional associations to the benefit of their customers.
- Directly responsible for identifying and developing new coating concepts and methodologies, through innovation and ingenuity using a diverse technical background.
- Report to status and progress of projects assigned in a regular, timely and accurate manner
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proficiency in optical principles, electromagnetic field theory, math and optical coating technology
- Expert level knowledge in Optical Coating Design, and/or other areas needed for coating design
- Understanding of document control
- Great communication, organization
- Motivated and self-starter
- Possess an innovation vision (defined as the ability to spot an opportunity, dream-up a coating solution, and convert into a working design).
- Minimum MS or PhD in Physics, Electrical engineering or Optical Sciences or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in coating design (full time equivalent).
- Proven track record of market competitive thin film design for optical filters or for ultrafast laser components
Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time; ability to travel; work in office and/or lab/manufacturing setting.